Week of March 27, 2011
Photo by Rebecca Bolte, All Rights Reserved (c) 2010, www.rebeccabolte.com
Name: Sadaf Hussain
Neighborhood: Phinney Ridge/Ballard
Vegan Circa: 1999
Why I Find Her Interesting: Sadaf is a super woman in my mind: she is both a medical physician AND opened Seattle's all-vegan shoe store and chocolate shop. Honestly, I don't know many people who are ambitious enough to tackle just one of those things, much less both - simultaneously! But not only that, she is generous and humble. And she is extremely classy. I don't know about you, but I can always use a little more class in my life.
Why Vegan: "Because once you know the truth about the way humans treat animals of other species, you either have to adapt your life to be in accordance with that truth, or engage in an ongoing lifetime of denial, rationalization, and compartmentalization; that is, willful ignorance. And I chose to live the truth I discovered, and that meant being vegan." - Sadaf
- Trying out new foods, restaurants, chocolates, and recipes.
- As a self professed shopaholic! She justifies it by believing that she is encouraging the economy to grow.
- Walking, reading, yoga, belly dancing.
- Volunteering at Sidecar for Pigs' Peace. (I didn't even know this!)
- Owning and running The Chocolate Shoe Box, which is a vegan shoe and chocolate shop in the Phinney Ridge neighborhood. She is trying to work towards getting a larger store eventually, and/or have multiple locations. She would love to be able to make and sell her own truffles someday.
- And last but not least, as a Urgent Care Medical Doctor in the Kent Multicare Clinic.
Sadaf Suggests: shopping at Sidecar for Pigs' Peace because it supports a wonderful cause, and they have fabulous items along with super knowledgeable staff.
If you see Sadaf on the street: talk to her about chocolate, food, what's happening at The Chocolate Shoe Box, or the benefits of a vegan diet on health. Her patient's definitely get an earful of that whenever she gets the opportunity!
Go get your vegan shoes at her shop! There will be a 1 year anniversary party for The Chocolate Shoe Box on April 16-17th from 11am to 7 pm with cake, a prize drawing, sales, and more! There will also be a Vegan Bake Sale benefiting Precious Life Animal Sanctuary on April 30 and May 1 from 12-6pm. Swing by either of those events and say "Hi" to Sadaf and get to know her a little better.
Anyone can try veganism. In Seattle it is really easy. If you are interested, visit: www.goveg.com/order.asp and Order the FREE Veg Starter Kit.